Skip to main content

E. H. Butler Library, Buffalo State, The State University of New York

Archives & Special Collections: College Club of Buffalo Collection [ca. 1914-1994]

Descriptive Summary

Title: The College Club of Buffalo Collection

Date Span: [ca. 1914-ca. 1994]

Acquisition Number: N/A

Creator: The College Club of Buffalo

Donor: The College Club of Buffalo

Date of Acquisition: 1995

Extent: 2 boxes; 3 linear ft.

Language: English

Location: Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State 

Processed: 1995; 2006

Information on Use

Access: The College Club of Buffalo Collection is open for research. 

Reproduction of Materials: 
See Archivist for information on reproducing materials from this collection, including photocopies, digital camera images, or digital scans, as well as copyright restrictions that may pertain to these materials. 

Even though all reasonable and customary best-practices have been pursued, this collection may contain materials with confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the SUNY Buffalo State assumes no responsibility.

Preferred Citation: 
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, The College Club of Buffalo Collection [ca. 1914-ca. 1994], Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State.

Biographical Note:
In 1913, a small group of members in the Association of College Alumnae (today known as the American Association of University Women) established the College Club. It was organized to promote the social and intellectual interests of college educated women in Buffalo and its vicinity and maintained a clubhouse for this purpose. In 1914, 172 members met and adopted a constitution naming the organization the College Club of Buffalo, Inc. The first clubhouse was a rental property on Park Street, Buffalo; and in 1915 the Club moved to its present location at 264 Summer Street, Buffalo, NY.

Scope and Contents:
The collection maintains annual, board, secretaries', treasurers' and directors' reports; bulletins; historical information of the College Club and its property; roster booklets; and miscellaneous material, all (ca.) 1914-(ca.) 1994. In addition to the officers' reports, each committee had a chairperson, who gave an annual report to inform the entire membership on events and progress. The committees are: Audit; Bridge Party; Budget and Finance; Bulletin; By-Laws; Club Room; Community Relations; Decorations; Dinner Program; Evening Program; Garden Club; Hospitality; House; Luncheon Program; Membership; Memorial; Nominating; Roster Book; Scholarships; Sunshine; Ways and Means.

Buffalo State logo
E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878 6300
Fax: (716) 878-3134