The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers
The Lit-Mus Study Club
The Lit-Mus Study Club
Feb., 1995; 1997-2003
3 boxes; 3 linear ft.
Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
1995; reprocessed 2006
The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers is open for research.
See Archivist for information on reproducing materials from this collection, including photocopies, digital camera images, or digital scans, as well as copyright restrictions that may pertain to these materials.
Even though all reasonable and customary best practices have been pursued, this collection may contain materials with confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the SUNY Buffalo State assumes no responsibility.
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State.
The Lit-Mus - short for "Literary" and "Music" -- Study Club is an ongoing African American women's study group that originated in Buffalo in 1922. It was founded by Florence Jackson Lee, Amelia Anderson, and Ora Lewis Anderson in the hopes of fulfilling its mission to study topics in the arts, humanities, and social sciences that would enable the club's women to improve their community. It became part of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs as well as an affiliate of the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs. In 1928, the Study Club introduced Negro History Week to Buffalo. The Club maintains a scholarship fund that has assisted many local students with their education and supports many local charities. It has also enabled the community to have greater access to African American literature and has donated books to libraries and schools. In order to preserve the records of the Club, it was deemed advisable to house them in the Special Collections area of the Buffalo State College's E.H. Butler Library.
The Lit-Mus Study Club collection houses historical information, activities, correspondence, ephemera, printed material, subject files, and records of the organization from its founding in the 1920s (bulk, 1930s-1980s). There is significant ancillary material that highlights the activities and functions of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs, Inc., and other similar state- and nationwide (primarily women's) clubs and organizations.
Note: Due to the nature of donations to the collection, some material may be filed in supplementary series based on accession dates.