E. H. Butler Library is a 3 story building originally constructed in 1951. From 1966 to 1970 a large addition was constructed around the 1951 footprint resulting in a final 215,259 gross square foot building. With more than 500,000 books, 20,000 audio-visual materials and articles from more than 20,000 journals, the building is the academic hub of the campus.
In recent years, the Library has been continually transformed from a traditional library to 24-hour study quads, writing center, group study areas, and technology-based study. This project seeks to further the transformation by reconfiguring parts of the first, second and a minor area of the third floor to accommodate the Academic Commons (AC), technology support for students, and a reimaged Information Commons. The AC brings together offices with a diverse set of missions, each providing assistance to students as they seek to fulfill their academic potential and graduate in the timeliest manner. The AC will include the following services:
Additionally, the AC will include a variety of shared spaces for testing, and individual and group tutoring/advising space. The goal is to create a “one-stop-shop” for all academic needs for students.
In addition to programmatic goals, critical maintenance needs will be addressed in the project area that would include hazardous material removal, new mechanical systems for ventilation and air conditioning, electrical and data distribution upgrades, window replacements, finish upgrades, and a reconfigured vestibule.
For more information, visit the Facilities Construction & Maintenance page.