Skip to main content

E. H. Butler Library, Buffalo State, The State University of New York

Archives & Special Collections: Lit-Mus Study Club (of Buffalo) Papers 1930s-1990s]

Descriptive Summary

Title: The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers

Date Span: [1920-1990]

Acquisition Number: N/A

Creator: The Lit-Mus Study Club

Donor: The Lit-Mus Study Club

Date of Acquisition: Feb., 1995; 1997-2003

Extent: 3 boxes; 3 linear ft.

Language: English

Location: Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State 

Processed: 1995; reprocessed 2006

Information on Use

Access: The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers are open for research.

Reproduction of Materials: 
See Archivist for information on reproducing materials from this collection, including photocopies, digital camera images, or digital scans, as well as copyright restrictions that may pertain to these materials. 

Even though all reasonable and customary best-practices have been pursued, this collection may contain materials with confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the SUNY Buffalo State assumes no responsibility.

Preferred Citation: 
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, The Lit-Mus Study Club of Buffalo Papers, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State.

Biographical Note:
The Lit-Mus - short for "Literary" and "Music" -- Study Club is an on-going African American women's study group that originated in Buffalo in 1922. It was founded by Florence Jackson Lee, Amelia Anderson and Ora Lewis Anderson in the hopes of fulfilling its mission to study topics in the arts, humanities and social sciences that would enable the club's women to improve their community. It became part of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs as well as an affiliate of the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs. In 1928, the Study Club introduced Negro History Week to Buffalo. The Club maintains a scholarship fund that has assisted many local students with their education and supports many local charities. It has also enabled the community to have greater access to African American literature and has donated books to libraries and schools. In order to preserve the records of the Club, it was deemed advisable to house them in the Special Collections area of the Buffalo State College's E.H. Butler Library.

Scope and Contents:
The Lit-Mus Study Club collection houses historical information, activities, correspondence, ephemera, printed material, subject files, and records of the organization from its founding in the 1920s (bulk, 1930s-1980s). There is significant ancillary material which highlights the activities and functions of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs, Inc., and other similar state- and nationwide (primarily women's) clubs and organizations.

Note: Due to the nature of donations to the collection, some material may be filed in supplementary series based on accession dates.

Buffalo State logo
E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878 6300
Fax: (716) 878-3134