Title: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Records
Date Span: 1824-2004
Acquisition Number: N/A
Creator: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Records
Donor: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Records
Date of Acquisition: 2005
Extent: 3 reels
Format: Microfilm; 16mm filmed with a 34X lens; photographs
Locations: The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
Processed: Reprocessed 2017, Hope Dunbar
The St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Records are open for research. Materials are available on microfilm within the department. Some items have been digitized and are available online. Appointment required.
Reproduction of Materials:
See Archivist for information on reproducing materials from this collection, including photocopies, digital camera images, or digital scans, as well as copyright restrictions that may pertain to these materials.
Even though all reasonable and customary best-practices have been pursued, this collection may contain materials with confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the SUNY Buffalo State assumes no responsibility.
[Description and dates], Box/Item/Reel number, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Records, The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State.
The church, located in Jamestown, New York, originated at around 1824. For the first ten years services were held at the Prendergast Academy Building, at the corner of Main and Fifth Streets. As the religious community grew, the need for an established parish became apparent. In the spring of 1834, that parish had been successfully formed and incorporated into the Diocese of Western New York. In 1854 the church got its first Rector, Rev. Levi W. Norton. Two years later a new church was consecrated a block away. Throughout its later years the church would work to improve, not the local community, but also a small country in Central America known as Belize. The church community rendered financial support to Belize.
Scope and Contents:
The materials within the collection vary drastically in scope, media type, and chronology. Some documents included are financial records, meeting minutes, pictures of people and objects, and personal affects. Media types include newspaper clippings, books, photographs, letters, pamphlets, bulletins, and microfiche. All documents range chronologically from 1824 to 2004.
The collection was indexed and prepared for microfilming by Dr. Monroe Fordham, Professor Emeritus, of the History and Social Studies Education Department, Buffalo State College. The materials were microfilmed by John Bernoski Jr. and James Prokos, under the direction of Dr. Jean Richardson, Associate Professor, History and Social Studies Education Department, Buffalo State College.