Skip to main content

E. H. Butler Library, Buffalo State, The State University of New York

Archives & Special Collections: St. Philips Episcopal Church Papers



The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center

Descriptive Summary

Title: St. Philips Episcopal Church Papers

Date Span: 1861-1978; bulk 1940-1978

Acquisition Number: N/A

Creator: St. Philips Episcopal Church

Donor: St. Philips Episcopal Church

Date of Acquisition: 1978

Extent: 1 reels

Format: Microfilm; 16mm filmed with a 34X lens

Language: English

Locations: (1) The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State; (2) The Frank E. Merriweather Library and William A. Miles Center for African and African-American Studies

Processed: Reprocessed 2017, Hope Dunbar

Information on Use

Access: 
The St. Philips Episcopal Church Papers Collection is open for research. Materials are only available on microfilm for access within the department. Appointment required.

Reproduction of Materials: 
See Archivist for information on reproducing materials from this collection, including photocopies, digital camera images, or digital scans, as well as copyright restrictions that may pertain to these materials. 

Even though all reasonable and customary best-practices have been pursued, this collection may contain materials with confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the SUNY Buffalo State assumes no responsibility.

Preferred Citation: 
[Description and dates], Box/Item/Reel number, St. Philips Episcopal Church Papers, The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center, Archives & Special Collections Department, E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State.

Biographical Note:
St. Philip's is a predominantly African-American congregation and is the only parish in the Diocese of Western New York that can be so described.  The congregation is a working class to middle class/professional and draws members from all over Buffalo and the immediate suburbs.  During the 1920’s to 1940’s, people who had emigrated from the West Indies dominated the congregation, but today the congregation is predominantly native born African-American. There is still a West Indian flavor present, which makes St. Philip's a unique and interesting congregation.

An extended history can be found in the Finding-Aid & Inventory.

Scope and Contents:
Baptisms; confirmations; communicants; burials; marriages; and minutes.
 

Downloadable Finding-Aid and Inventory

For More Information...

undefined

Church Website: 
www.specbuffalo.org/

Buffalo State logo
E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878 6300
Fax: (716) 878-3134
Accessibility Policy