Skip to Main Content

E. H. Butler Library, Buffalo State, The State University of New York

International Students: Life in the U.S.


Adjusting to Campus Life

Moving to a new environment usually requires some period of adjustment. This adjustment can be difficult. There are many resources available to you both on and off campus as an international student at Buffalo State.

This page provides links to useful information for new international students adjusting to campus life in America. There are links to information about import campus services, student visas, student travel documentation, and local transportation.

Successfully navigate your way around campus by using a campus map.

For additional resources, visit the International Student Affairs Office in Campbell Student Union Room 400 or visit their website

Campus Facilities

There are many important departments, offices, and facilties on campus. Here are some you should make sure to familiarize yourself with:

Counseling Center
Free individual and group counseling services to address concerns such as cultural adjustments, academic problems, depression, homesickness, racial/ethnic bias, interpersonal conflicts, stress management, and more.

Dinning Services
Information on meal plans, Bengal Bucks, Dining Dollars, as well as dining locations and nutrition tools.

Fitness Center
The center includes high performance exercise equipment, consisting of the latest in cardiovascular and strength training technology.

International Student Affairs Office
The Office of International Student Affairs is delighted to help and serve you as you enter the exciting world of an international student/scholar at Buffalo State. 

Residence Life
Supports and enhances your college experience through a dynamic residential life program that provides opportunities for individual growth and development for a diverse residential population. 

University Police
University Police officers promote safety and security on campus.

University Bookstore
Find all the textbooks, school supplies, and Buffalo State apparel you need. 

Weigel Health Center
Weigel Health Center provides health and wellness services for all registered students. Most services are provided at little or no cost. 

Scholarships & Fellowships for International Students

There are many scholarships and fellowships available to you as an international student. Some may even be provided by your own government. Contact your embassy or your ministry of education for more information, since there are many awards which require you to be nominated by your government. There may also be private organizations in your home country that provide support for study in the U.S. Businesses, foundations, and religious groups might have funds available.

BSC Scholarship Information for International Students

Living in the U.S.

Driver’s License
If you wish to obtain a driver's license or register a motor vehicle in New York State, you will be required to provide a Social Security number or a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating that you are not eligible for a number.

On-campus employment
Please check the USCIS website for the most current guidelines for student visas and employment.

Filing Taxes
If you work in the US during your studies or even receive a scholarship or fellowship, you are expected to file state and federal tax return.

Student Visa & Immigration Information

For the most up to date information on student visas, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services in-person South Wing 410, by phone (716) 878-5331, or e-mail

Click on the following links for more information about maintaining your student visa:  

SEVIS Information

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

U.S. Student Visa Information

Students and Employment

Buffalo State logo
E. H. Butler Library, SUNY Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878 6300
Fax: (716) 878-3134
Accessibility Policy